Friday, March 11, 2011

FREAK FACTOR

Freak Factor by David Rendall

Throughout the essay, David Rendall lists possible solutions to identifying weakness and utilizing it within one’s own personal career. He lists a total of 9, but 3 in particular stick out to me. Those were #5, 6 and 7: Foundation,  Focus, and Fit.
            Foundation is the concept of recognizing one’s strengths and building on those strengths. I like the fact that he makes a connection between passion/proficiency and people’s strengths. I find that when I do things I will be much better at things that I enjoy doing and have no problems working on those things. It is natural, that the more you do something the better you’ll be and the easier it’s going to get, allowing you do enhance that skill even further. I like the ‘Freak Fallacy’ and ‘Freak Fact’ at the bottom of the #5 passage. The fallacy being that strengths do not need work because they will always be there, the fact: “If you don’t use it, you lose it”
            Focus is the concept that one is not able to efficiently multi-task and work on both eliminating weaknesses and increasing strengths. It is important to do one or the other and in my opinion it’s much more important to increase strengths and ignore the weaknesses, however there are certainly drawbacks to that approach as well. It is imperative to the ability of improving strengths to truly focus step by step on one aspect in order to produce exceptional work.
            Fit, I think, is the most important. It’s not about adjusting and adapting to surroundings or expectations, being successful is about finding your nook, finding a place where you fit in and utilizing your strengths at the location to use the focus and foundation in order to be efficient. Again the fallacy and fact really sum up the passage. Fallacy; I need to adapt to fit the situation: Fact; You need to choose situations that fit your natural strengths. One will always do better utilizing their strengths in a particular area than branching out and being efficient in several areas but not have an expertise of any.
            As far as the creative process goes, I haven’t really found my focus or my fit, however I’m working on the foundation. When it comes to being creative I have trouble imagining brand new ideas. I can take someone’s rough idea and tweak in to something doable but I’m not the best fresh idea guy, I need to get it out of my head that everything’s been done because I’m sure there’s plenty more left to be done. My strengths are that I’m very patient and easy going, I can roll with the punches and adjust to situations as certain other things may arise.

No comments:

Post a Comment